This ad is expired.
Technical Services Specialist Distance Education, Library, and Learning Resources
Job Type: Staff
Department: Library & Learning Resources
Under the primary direction of the Associate Dean of Library and Instruction or designee, the Technical Services Specialist - Distance Education, Library, and Learning Resources provides essential systems administration, maintenance, and support to rapidly changing systems and applications that are critical to the performance of Distance Education, Library, and Learning Resources services for College of the Desert students, employees, and community patrons. Train staff and faculty on a variety of software and systems; assist supervisor in the organization, preparation, and presentation of materials; compile and maintain data and prepare reports.
- Bargaining Unit Position
- Range 13
This position is assigned 12 months per year.
- 1. Assist in training faculty, staff, and student workers on a variety of software, policies, and procedures. Develop training aids in a variety of formats including electronic presentations.
2. Assist individuals and small groups in an instructional setting; respond to questions concerning software, equipment usage, passwords, and other related concerns and issues.
3. Assist in the organization, preparation, and presentation of instructional and operational materials; assist in overseeing and guiding assigned activities and learning sessions.
4. Access student records to place and release holds via Integrated Library System (ILS) from records, accessing all library informational databases, and entering and removing data on the library catalog.
5. Serve as the primary contact for the Ex Libris project manager and coordinate with the Ex Libris implementation team.
6. Test workflows in the Alma and Primo VE production environments and provide feedback to the Ex Libris implementation team.
7. Complete test loads, authentications, configuration, and integration of Ex Libris and other related systems.
8. Serve as the system Library Services Platform (LSP) administrator.
9. Create and set parameters dealing with circulation, materials, Distance Education, Library, and Learning Resources.
10. Administer proxy software (EZproxy).
11. Advise staff on the capabilities and limitations of available systems, software, and support, all vendor-hosted library systems, and specialized software in Distance Education, Library, and Learning Resources.
12. Coordinate with college Information Technology department concerning Ex Libris integrations of Student Information System (SIS) Colleague/Datatel; Bursar system; internal library systems Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Bibliotheca.
14. Maintain confidentiality and security measures to ensure safeguarding of confidential and/or sensitive data, files, and documents. Maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field.
15. Ensure reliable access to subscribed electronic information resources. Troubleshoot remote access problems and coordinate problem resolution with Information Technology staff and/or content providers.
16. Serve as technical liaison for vendors. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with internal and external employees and other community service agencies and vendors.
17. Set user roles for staff and faculty.
18. Provide or assist other staff in providing collections, circulation, or other statistics from the ILS and library systems for mandatory college, federal, and industry reports.
19. Perform related duties as assigned.
Associates degree in computer science, computer information systems, instructional technology, and/or related field and two (2) years of increasingly responsible distance education, library, and learning resources experience.
Alma Administration Certification. Possession of or ability to obtain Primo VE Administration Certification within one year of employment.
Knowledge of the Library of Congress Classification System and OCLC, preferably academic library methods. Knowledge of Integrated Library System or similar enterprise resource planning system, preferably cloud-based next-generation systems such as Ex Libris, Alma, or Primo Systems.
Advanced knowledge of relational databases. Data mining and management for small to large data sets, integrated database systems, networks, and microcomputer systems and software. Knowledge of general office practices and procedures, grammar/spelling, and positive customer service. Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy. Skill in using standard software to manipulate large datasets for querying, analysis and visualization. SQL programming language. Analytical and problem-solving skills.
Perform technical library duties. Compile statistical reports. Accurately organize and maintain a variety of records. Evaluate work assignments and make responsible, independent judgments. Advanced organizational, planning, and follow-through skills. Work on collaborative projects and initiatives. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive student information. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Operate computers with a wide variety of software applications. Operate other office equipment. Reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally. Lift moderately heavy objects.
Working Conditions: Working Conditions
Library environment. Constant interruptions. Sit or stand for extended periods of time, pushing and pulling, and visual acuity. The ability to type, use phone, stand intermittently, walk, bend and stoop, occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects of light to moderate weight, work at a computer, including sitting and viewing a monitor for various lengths of time, repetitive use of keyboard, mouse or other information to others.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Salary Schedule Range: Classified Salary Schedule, Range 13
Specific Departmental Needs:
Posting Number: 21-059
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date:
Interview Date: 07/15/2021
Posting Open Date: 05/05/2021
Posting Close Date: 6/27/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Professional References must include at least three supervisors and two colleagues. Please include name, title, relationship and current phone numbers. Letters of reference and personal references will not be accepted in lieu of the required professional references.
- Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
- Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
- College Transcripts: For consideration of college coursework, transcripts must be attached. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
- This posting will remain open until filled.
- Applications must be received by midnight on June 27, 2021 to be considered in first review.
- The posting will be updated with tentative interview dates once established.
To apply, visit https://cod.peopleadmin.com/postings/5066